ArgiMent AT is a multi-nutritional approach to reduce the barriers to healing in the chronic wound:
- Antioxidants arginine, glutamine, zinc, and Vitamin C improve scar formation (maturation).
- Arginine, glutamine and whey protein enhance and restore immune function to resist infection.
- L-arginine supports angiogenesis to improve blood flow for wound profusion.
- High-protein nitrogen supplementation (7g of arginine, 7g of glutamine and 10g of whey protein) more easily provides for the increased protein and nitrogen needs for all steps in wound healing.
- Bimuno prebiotic produces a positive effect on immune response, as proven in clinical studies, by significantly improving the healthful balance of gut microflora.
ArgiMent AT provides 10 grams of high–biological-value whey protein per serving in combination with 7 grams of arginine (13.5 N2 Eq) and 7 grams of glutamine (8.5 N2 Eq), yielding a high-protein nitrogen intervention to meet the increased nitrogen needs associated with chronic, non-healing wounds.
When calculating protein needs, grams of individual amino acids such as arginine and glutamine are not included in total protein intake. Arginine and glutamine are given in addition to total protein needs and work in conjunction with protein for healing. The National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel (NPUAP) recommends 1.2 to 1.5 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight for wound healing. Larger draining wounds may require higher levels, up to 2.0g of protein per kg of body weight to offset protein losses from wound exudate.
Indications: Typically used to provide advanced nutritional therapy for pressure injury and other wounds that have responded slowly to standard nutritional therapies for wound healing. Low in sugar and appropriate for carbohydrate-controlled diets. Can be thickened to comply with dysphagia diet restrictions.